Man Pasta – Buckwheat pasta with walnut, rucola, mushroom & truffle sauce
reaches the parts other pasta doesn’t reach
This pasta is so rich in taste and so full of everything a man needs (nutritionally speaking of course) its hard to believe it doesn’t actually contain oodles of red meat. Add to that the method of throwing everything in the pan without exact measurements and really all it needs is its own cave.
Ingredients – for 4
A large heavy bottomed frying pan or a wok is ideal.
- 1 quantity of Black Pepper Buckwheat Pasta or some good fettucine
- 150g cherry tomatoes
- 100-200 g rucola or a lot of parsley or a packet of baby spinach
- a lot of garlic. 4 cloves pp , about 16 cloves. I’m serious.
- 150-200g mushrooms. Favourite ones of course can be porcini but the shitake meaty type ones work well.
- 200g roughly chopped walnuts. Not peanuts. Not pecans. Not hazlenuts but walnuts or “nuci”. They are often found in the baking section not the beer section or the snack section of supermarkets. Just saying.
- Good olive oil – you will want an extra virgin of course
- Some thyme and or oregano
- Some truffles – fresh if you are lucky or those clever little Italian jars if you are mortal. Half a black truffle grated. Approx 1 tablespoon of the jarred truffles but it depends on your taste.
- Pumpkin seeds to garnish
- Some grated parmesan to serve
- Chilli – I think it does not enhance the dish. Can I just say that sneaking it into the dish without prior consultation is not a smart move.
Although the method is quite easy, the order you do it in does affect the dish. Make sure you have a large pan of boiling water for your pasta.
The actual making of the dish takes about 10 minutes so if you are a bit nervous about cooking fresh pasta and making this simultaneously, just make the pasta first and drain it, and place on a damp tea towel. Alternatively make the pasta simultaneously.
Firstly fry the garlic and walnuts in the olive oil, next add the mushrooms, thyme or oregano and truffles and cook until the mushrooms soften.
Now put the pasta in the water – it will be done in 3-5 minutes. If using shop bought – follow the cooking time instructions.
Now place the cherry tomatoes on top of the walnuts and mushrooms. Place the rucola on top of those. Add a lid to cover and switch the heat down a bit. This is where you want the rucola to wilt and the tomatoes to sweat. The great thing about the tomatoes is that they act like taste bombs in the dish.
Once the rucola is wilted the dish is ready to serve. take it off the heat.
Now drain your pasta and combine through gently all the sauce ingredients. Dribble on more olive oil. serve. sprinkle over some parmesan. Add a glass of red wine for yet more life enhancement.
Buckwheat – keeps your blood flowing, regulates blood sugar, thwarts cancer
Walnuts – Good for your heart: less heart attacks, lower your cholesterol, battle cancer and in particular prostate cancer due to their elagic acid, high in vitamin E. High in zinc which is needed to create testosterone.
Mushrooms – The Japanese use shitake mushrooms to treat tumours and the shitake also lowers cholesterol
Olive Oil – A monounsaturated fat and all round superfood. We all know its good for the heart and cholesterol but did you know its also good for testosterone too?
Garlic – It thins the blood, wards off the vampires and lowers blood pressure but do you know its good for producing testosterone too?
Pumpkin seeds– great for halting prostate cell overgrowth. And another great source of zinc.